A selection of recently added, digitised, or updated items in the Fletcher Trust Archives
Arrowhead was a company magazine first published in October 1954, with the expressed intent of being first and foremost a staff magazine. It was produced until the final issue in Spring 1980. In 1954 Fletcher Holdings Ltd was an organisation with a core business of construction and manufacturing, forestry and wood. The company was involved in many new industries in New Zealand, including particle board, ready-mix concrete, linseed and rapeseed oil extraction, long-run roofing, wire-drawing and galvanizing. Fletcher Holdings was involved in the establishment of the Tasman Pulp & Paper Company in 1954, and in the opening of New Zealand's first major steel mill, Pacific Steel, which was opened in 1962. The magazines reflected the diverse activities of the group and the content included photographs of the company's activities including construction and civil engineering projects, forestry and timber milling, residential development, and the manufacturing and distribution of building products. Individual items in this collection have been digitised, and word-searchable PDF copies of each issue are available by clicking the link provided under the 'related information' field.
Fletcher House is an Edwardian villa built in 1909 for Hubert Green, storekeeper and postmaster at Broad Bay, Otago Peninsula, Dunedin. It began the career of Sir James Fletcher, founder of the Fletcher Construction Company Ltd, the son of a fifth-generation stonemason-builder who had arrived in Dunedin from Scotland in 1908. After a period of employment as a joiner he formed a partnership with Albert Morris and this villa at Broad Bay was their first contract. By 1913 Fletcher Brothers had expanded into Invercargill and by 1915 as far north as Auckland. In 1919, the renamed Fletcher Construction Company was involved in major contracts building large public and private buildings in Auckland, Wellington and Dunedin. In 1990, the company (now Fletcher Challenge) purchased the villa. Restoration began in 1991, with furnishing and garden design undertaken by a team from the Toitū Otago Settlers' Museum, and Dunedin Botanic Gardens. In October 1992 the fully restored Fletcher House, managed by the Otago Peninsula Trust, was opened to the public. (Text paraphrased from 'The Fletcher House, Broad Bay, Otago Peninsula, New Zealand', by Peter Shaw, 1992)
We’re continuing to work on improving the quality of our data, so please bear with us in the meantime. If something is not clear or seems incorrect, don’t hesitate to contact us using the online enquiries form.